Push/press/click: A smart button roundup
In a world dominated by the digital, there’s something incredibly satisfying about a smart button. It’s tactile, fun, and easy to use. And when a button’s on IFTTT, a single push can unlock hundreds of actions.
To help you pick one that’s right for you, here’s a roundup of three smart buttons, that all work with IFTTT:
- $99.99 for a starter pack; additional buttons $39.99.
- Set up via the free POP mobile app.
- Comes in teal, coral, grey, and white.
- 2.4 x 2.4 x 0.3 inches.
- Sits or sticks on a surface.
POP has three triggers that you can use with IFTTT: A short press, a long press, and a double press. POP’s service was recently launched! Here are some Applets to explore:
- $34.00 each.
- Setup via the free Flic mobile app.
- Comes in black, green, turquoise, white, or yellow.
- 1.1 x 1.1 x 0.314 inches
- Sits, sticks, or clips onto a surface — it’s designed to be portable.
Flic has three triggers: a click, a double click, and a hold. You can also create custom tags and add them to your Flics, so that different buttons can be used to set off the same Applets. Here are some handy Applets:
- $79.00 for the original or the bttn mini.
- Comes with internet connectivity built-in and can be set up via your browser.
- Comes in white, black, yellow, green, blue, and red. Or you can customize the bttn “cap” with your own design.
- 2.87 x 3.94 inches (original); 1.57 x 2.72 inches (mini).
- Sits on a flat surface.
bttn has one IFTTT trigger: a simple press. You can use it in two ways; creating Applets that run when a bttn is pressed or Applets that run if a bttn is not pressed within a defined time window. Here are some interesting and useful bttn Applets:
If you prefer something custom, you can also explore the DIY route. Creative developers and tinkerers have used the Maker Channel to produce all manner of smart buttons and switches — we featured one on our blog last month.