The Pomodoro method is a productivity hack that was Invented by Francesco Cirillo in the 1980s. The surprisingly simple, yet powerful idea is designed to increase productivity and break procrastination by focusing on smaller, achievable work increments. The method is a great way to jumpstart your work day and build momentum. The Pomodoro method is broken down into work and rest stages; the work typically lasts 25 minutes, while the rest portion is 5 minutes.
Like all things, the Pomodoro method works best when a certain amount of planning is done before you commence. Ask yourself: big picture, what are you realistically hoping to achieve in this work session? How many Pomodoros do you think you can complete? Before you start, have your work broken down into roughly Pomodoro-sized chunks. The golden rule of the Pomodoro method is that when you are working you need to be completely focused on the task at hand. Ignore all distractions. If you finish ahead of schedule, do not stop. Instead, work on your next task until the Pomodoro timer goes off.
You can build your own Pomodoro app with IFTTT. Read to the end to learn how. Join IFTTT today to build your own Pomodoro app!
7 Steps to perfect the Pomodoro technique
- Plan the task or tasks to be completed.
- Start the Pomodoro timer (typically 25 minutes).
- Focus on the task, do not get distracted or watch the timer.
- Stop working when the timer rings.
- Take a short break (typically 5 minutes).
- After the fourth Pomodoro is completed, take a long break (typically 20 to 30 minutes).
Cirillo and his followers originally encouraged a mechanical timer and low-tech approach. Today, however, we have tools and dedicated apps that can improve on his original innovation without being distracting. You can even create your own timer with additional features using IFTTT, but more on that later.
Here are our top 5 Pomodoro apps
1 - Build your own Pomodoro App with IFTTT
With IFTTT you can build a Pomodoro timer to suit your own unique workflow. Additionally, you can make it even more powerful by integrating it with the nearly 800 devices and services available on IFTTT.
Imagine creating a simple automation that flashes your lights when the Pomodoro session is completed and flashes another color when your break is over. There are endless possibilities, from simple to sophisticated, to apply the Pomodoro method.
2 - Toggl Pomodoro App
- Toggl is a time tracking app that has a built-in Pomodoro timer to help you stay on track with your work.
- It has a clean and straightforward interface, making it easy for users to quickly start tracking their time.
- It allows users to set timers for specific tasks, helping them to stay focused and avoid distractions.
- It includes a range of features for tracking and analyzing time, such as detailed reports and graphs, which can be helpful for measuring productivity and identifying areas for improvement.
- It integrates with a variety of tools and platforms, including Jira, Trello, Asana, and Slack, allowing users to work more effectively and streamline their workflows.
- It is available across all platforms, including Linus, Chrome, and Windows.
- It integrates with IFTTT! Automate Toggle on IFTTT today!
3 - Focus To-Do Pomodoro App
- Focus To-Do is a simple and easy-to-use app that helps you manage your tasks and increase productivity with the Pomodoro technique.
- It has a simple and user-friendly interface, making it easy for users to start using the app right away.
- It integrates with task management tools like Todoist and Google Tasks, allowing users to manage their to-do lists and keep track of their progress all in one place.
- It includes customizable break times, allowing users to choose how long they want to take breaks between work sessions.
- It has a range of helpful features, such as the ability to track time spent on different tasks and the option to add notes to each task.
- It is available across all platforms, including Chrome and Windows.
4 - Forest Pomodoro App
- Forest gamifies the Pomodoro method by allowing you to plant virtual trees that grow as you are productive.
- It has a unique and engaging approach to time management, using gamification to encourage users to stay focused and avoid distractions.
- It helps users to develop good habits by allowing them to "plant" virtual trees which grow as they stay focused, and "die" if they leave the app.
- It includes a range of helpful features, such as the ability to track time spent on different tasks, set goals, and earn rewards.
- It has a positive impact on the environment, as the developers of the app have partnered with a tree-planting organization to plant real trees for every virtual tree grown in the app.
- It is available on Android and iOS, and as a Chrome Extension.
5 - Tide Pomodoro App
- Tide is a beautiful and user-friendly app that helps you focus with ambient sounds and a customizable Pomodoro timer.
- It has a minimalistic and calming design, which can help users to focus and avoid distractions.
- It includes customizable work and break intervals, allowing users to set their own schedule and work in a way that suits them best.
- It includes a range of ambient sounds and music, which can help users to focus, reduce stress, and increase productivity.
- It is highly rated by users and has received positive reviews for its effectiveness in helping people stay focused, reduce distractions, and improve their productivity.
- It is available on iOS and Android only.
Join IFTTT and build your own Pomodoro App today!