YouTube is the one of the most visited websites in the world (second only to Google Search) with over 2 billion active users. With such a large audience, it's no wonder that many content creators are looking for ways to increase their views and reach a wider audience. A large number of viewers, even if it is only one viral video, can greatly boost the number of subscribers on a YouTube channel and forever cement the channel in fame.
So, whether you are managing someone else's channel, or building your own from the ground up, having a strong strategy for gaining viewers is a surefire way to make sure your videos aren't swept under the rug. In this article, we'll explore some effective strategies for getting more views on your YouTube videos. We'll finish up by introducing IFTTT, our free automation platform that can take the monotony out of building your YouTube fanbase with a few simple clicks.
Why are YouTube views important?
Before we dive into the strategies, let's first understand why YouTube views are important. Views are a key metric for measuring the success of your videos and channel. In the simplest terms, the more views you have, the more people are watching your content, and the more potential subscribers you can gain.
To expand, the importance of YouTube views can be described in four different categories:
Metric for success: Views are a key metric for measuring the success of your videos and channel. The more views you have, the more people are watching your content, and the more potential subscribers you can gain. It indicates that your videos are engaging and resonating with your target audience.
YouTube's algorithm: Views are a factor in YouTube's algorithm, which determines which videos are recommended to users. The more views your video has, the more likely it is to be recommended to new viewers. This can lead to even more views and potential subscribers, helping your channel grow organically.
Social proof: A high view count can serve as social proof and increase your channel's credibility. When viewers see that a video has a large number of views, they are more likely to perceive it as valuable and worth watching. This can lead to higher engagement, such as likes, comments, and shares.
Monetization opportunities: YouTube offers monetization options for creators, such as ads and sponsorships. To be eligible for these opportunities, you need to meet certain criteria, including having a minimum number of views and subscribers. Increasing your views can help you unlock these monetization features and generate income from your content.
What exactly is a YouTube "view"
Before we dive into the strategies you should use to gain more of these precious views, we must define what constitutes a single view, according to YouTube.
Per YouTube, a view on a YouTube video is counted when a user watches the video for a certain amount of time. Interestingly, the exact duration required for a view to be counted is not disclosed by YouTube, but it is generally accepted that a view is registered after a user watches a significant portion of the video, typically around 30 seconds or more.
It's important to note that YouTube has systems in place to detect and filter out fraudulent views, such as those generated by bots or artificial means. These views are not counted towards the official view count.
Additionally, YouTube has specific policies to ensure that views are authentic and legitimate. For example, repeated views from the same user within a short period of time are not counted as separate views. So, refreshing the page and watching your own video over and over won't work for long. YouTube also reserves the right to remove views that are deemed to be invalid or violate its policies.
The best proven strategies to gain more views
Thankfully, the best strategies to get more YouTube views are not difficult and have been tried and tested by the top creators on the platform. By staying consistent and working smarter instead of harder, you can use the below tips to grow your YouTube empire.
1. Increase your views with engaging thumbnails: Create eye-catching and engaging thumbnails that entice viewers to click on your videos. Use bright colors, clear and easy-to-read text, and an image that accurately represents the content of your video. Tools like Canva or Adobe Spark can help you create professional-looking thumbnails.
2. Optimize your titles and descriptions: Craft clear, concise, and accurate titles for your videos that reflect the content. Avoid clickbait titles as they can lead to a high bounce rate. In the video description, include relevant keywords and a brief summary of what viewers can expect to see. This will help your video rank higher in search results and attract more viewers.
3. Utilize YouTube Shorts: Take advantage of YouTube Shorts, which are vertical videos that are 60 seconds or less in length. Use relevant hashtags and include a call-to-action in the video, such as asking viewers to like, comment, or subscribe. The Shorts camera can add music, text, and filters to make your videos more engaging.
4. Promote your videos on social media: Leverage the power of social media to promote your YouTube videos. Share your videos on platforms like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, and encourage your followers to watch and share them with their friends. Join relevant Facebook groups and Reddit communities related to your niche and share your videos there, following the group's rules and avoiding spamming.
5. Collaborate with other YouTubers: Partner with other YouTubers in your niche to reach a new audience. Collaborate on videos or participate in "collab swaps" where you promote each other's videos on your respective channels. This can help you tap into their audience and gain more views.
6. Engage with your audience: Respond to comments on your videos and ask viewers to leave comments and share their thoughts. Encourage engagement and build a strong community around your channel. Creating content based on your audience's interests can help you gain more views and loyal subscribers.
7. Use paid advertising: If you have a budget, consider using YouTube's paid advertising options to reach a wider audience. Options include in-stream ads, video discovery ads, and bumper ads. Define your target audience and set a budget that aligns with your goals. Tools like Google Ads can help track the performance of your ads.
8. Collaborate with influencers: Reach out to influencers in your niche to promote your videos to their followers. Offer to create sponsored content for their channel, which can help you reach a wider audience and gain more views. Choose influencers that align with your brand and have an engaged following.
9. Optimize your channel for SEO: Use relevant keywords in your channel name, description, and video titles and descriptions. Create playlists to organize your videos and make it easier for viewers to find related content. Use tags to help YouTube understand what your video is about. Utilize custom thumbnails, video optimization, and channel art to make your channel visually appealing and stand out.
10.Analyze Your Performance and Make Adjustments: Regularly analyze your channel's performance using YouTube Analytics. Track views, watch time, and audience retention to see which videos are performing well and which ones need improvement. Use tools like TubeBuddy or VidIQ for more in-depth insights and optimize your videos for better results. By implementing these strategies consistently and tailoring them to your target audience, you can increase your views and grow your YouTube channel.
How much is a YouTube view worth?
The short answer: about $0.018 per view. Unfortunately, this answer is only an estimate, and in reality the cost of each view depends on more complex variables.
The monetary value of a YouTube view can vary widely depending on various factors such as the type of content, the audience demographics, the level of viewer engagement, and the monetization methods used by the content creator.
In terms of direct revenue from ads, the value of a YouTube view is typically calculated based on the revenue generated per thousand ad views (CPM). The CPM can range from a few cents to several dollars, depending on factors such as the ad format, the advertiser's bidding strategy, and the target audience. Content creators earn a portion of the ad revenue, which can fluctuate based on factors like ad inventory availability and viewer ad interaction.
However, it's important to note that revenue from ads is not the only way to monetize YouTube views. Content creators may also earn income through other channels such as brand partnerships, sponsored content, merchandise sales, crowdfunding, and more. The value of a view in these cases can vary greatly depending on the specific partnership or revenue model.
Automatically becoming a YouTube sensation with IFTTT
If you're looking for a way to get more views and increase your YouTube presence without having to manually post content and engage with your audience, IFTTT (If This Then That) can be a great tool. IFTTT is our free web-based service that connects over 800 different web applications and automates certain workflows.
With IFTTT, it is possible to connect social media accounts, web services, and other online applications to create automated tasks. For example, you could create an IFTTT recipe to automatically post your YouTube videos to Twitter or Facebook every time you upload a new video. This can help you significantly boost your reach and engagement without having to manually post and promote your content.
Keep reading to learn more about our mission and our top picks for YouTube automations.
What is IFTTT?
IFTTT is our free web-based service and mobile app designed to boost productivity by automating tasks. It works by creating connections between popular apps and services, allowing them to work together seamlessly.
The basic idea behind IFTTT is to create "applets" or sets of instructions that trigger when certain conditions are met. This can be turning on the lights automatically when you enter your house, for example.
Founded in 2011, IFTTT has been used by over 25 million individuals to automate both business and home tasks, saving time and increasing efficiency. It's commonly used to connect disparate services and systems, making all products and services work well together in a way that instills user confidence. Best of all, it's free and only takes a couple of minutes to set up.
Top YouTube Applets with IFTTT
This Applet will search the title of the video on Spotify — if it finds the track, it'll add it to a "YouTube" playlist. Not all songs on YouTube are available on Spotify, but many are. Happy tune hunting!
Keep your communities in sync with this easy to use Applet — when you upload a new public video the link will be posted on your Facebook Page.
This Applet will keep a running list of all YouTube videos you've liked! The spreadsheet also includes the date & time you liked the video.
Never miss an upload by all of your favorite creators! This Applet will send out a notification if someone you are following posts a video.
To enable these Applets and millions more, try IFTTT today for free!